This grain-free, protein-rich hot cereal is a warm and comforting breakfast option, especially during these colder months. Unlike other hot cereals, made with refined grains and typically high in sugar that can set you up for a blood sugar rollercoaster, this hot cereal will sustain you through your morning and provide grounding to your day. It can be made ahead and heated in the morning for a nutrient-dense breakfast to fuel your busy day. It’s loaded with healthy fats, protein and micronutrients from whole food ingredients.
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 3+ hours for soaking)
Cook time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours or overnight
- ½ cup raw pecans, soaked for 3 hours or overnight
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 dates (substitute honey or maple syrup to taste)
- 4 scoops Body Kitchen Youthful Beauty Collagen or Body Kitchen Original Body Boost Collagen
- 1 cup filtered water (add more for a thinner porridge)
Optional toppings: hemp seeds, fresh or frozen berries, banana slices, nut milk
- Drain the soaking water from the nuts. In a high-speed blender add the cashews, pecans, coconut, chia seeds, flax seeds, salt, dates, collagen and water. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the portion you intend to eat to a saucepan over low-medium heat and gently heat while stirring occasionally for a few minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with toppings of choice.
- Store leftovers in a glass container in the fridge and gently heat before serving.
Nutrition facts (1 serving, without toppings): 395 calories, 18 grams protein, 28 grams fat, 23 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber