Medically Reviewed By Elizabeth A. Swick, MS, RDN
How To Improve Skin Elasticity - Collagen Benefits for Skin
Centuries ago, European explorers voyaged to North and South America, searching for the fabled fountain of youth. Today, the tradition continues with people trying to discover how to increase skin elasticity and promote a more youthful complexion. Many skin care products claim to improve skin elasticity, but they fail to deliver on their promises. That's because the cause of signs of aging lies deeper than the skin. The truth is that lifestyle, nutrients, and vitamins for skin elasticity are essential to effective anti-aging. Read on to learn more.
What Is Skin Elasticity?
Skin elasticity refers to how supple and resilient your skin is. Youthful skin has more elasticity, making it firmer and smoother. Declines in skin elasticity make the tissue more prone to wrinkling and sagging.
Why Does Loss of Skin Elasticity Occur As You Age?
To understand how to improve skin elasticity, you first need to know why signs of aging occur. Your skin is supported by a network of proteins that your body manufactures throughout your life. As you age, the production process slows down, leading to a weakening in the skin tissue. This results in the development of sagging skin, fine lines, and wrinkles. Harmful particles in ultraviolet energy and pollution called free radicals worsen the problem by destroying healthy cells.
What Is Collagen?
Collagen is the essential protein found in the structural network described above. In addition, collagen is present in much of the connective tissue in your body, including the cartilage that insulates your joints. It's also found in your muscles, blood vessels, teeth, and the corneas of your eyes.
Collagen Benefits for Skin
Collagen is essential for the health of your skin. By increasing the amount of collagen present in your body, you can help to strengthen the tissue's natural support network. In turn, fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin become less apparent, and your complexion becomes more resilient and less likely to develop signs of aging prematurely.
Why Take Skin Elasticity Supplements
There are small amounts of collagen present in animal-derived foods; however, most people can't consume enough natural sources of collagen to promote visible improvements in skin texture and elasticity. Taking a collagen supplement is often a better solution. After you ingest a collagen supplement, your digestive system breaks the protein down into amino acids that it can then use to produce natural collagen.
How To Choose and Use a Collagen Beauty Booster
To get the best possible supplement for your needs and make the most of its benefits, follow these tips: .
- Compare dipeptide amounts. Dipeptides reveal the concentration of collagen in a supplement. The actual quantity of dipeptides in supplements varies. Body Kitchen Youthful Beauty Collagen Powder contains 30 times the collagen dipeptides found in other popular products, making it one of the most effective collagen formulas in the industry.
- Choose a collagen blend. Collagen found in supplements may be derived from cows or fish. Selecting a product that contains some of both gives you a better mix of quality amino acids and target natural collagen formation at different rates. Body Kitchen collagen products are specifically formulated in such way,
- Opt for easily digestible forms. Powder and liquid supplements may be more easily absorbed and utilized than capsules and pills, which your digestive system must break down.
- Follow dosing guidelines. Unless your doctor gives you other advice, you should only use collagen supplements directed by the manufacturer.
You should always ask your doctor before you add any new dietary supplement to your regimen. Although the risk of side effects is relatively low with collagen, you could experience drug interactions or allergic reactions.
How To Keep Skin Young
In addition to taking collagen for skin, following these tips can help you promote a more youthful complexion:
- Wear broad-spectrum sunscreen every day. Exposure to ultraviolet A rays is a key driver of the aging process. By applying sunscreen with broad-spectrum protection daily, you can shield your skin from its effects. When outdoors for long periods, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours or more frequently if you're sweating or swimming.
- Stay hydrated. When you don't drink enough fluids, your skin grows parched, making signs of aging more prominent. Typically, experts recommend eight, 8-ounce glasses of water per day, but you may need more if you live in a hot, arid climate, are sweating profusely, or take certain medications.
- Moisturize daily. Applying a moisturizer restores hydration levels in the skin, making your complexion appear plumper and more radiant.
- Lower exposure that triggers free-radical damage, such as smoking environments.
- Increase your intake of natural vitamin C. Eating foods rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits and green leafy vegetables gives you antioxidant protection against free radicals while also providing raw materials to help your body manufacture collagen.
How Quickly Can You See Results?
Collagen supplements are not the miracle-fix, but reputable brands like Body Kitchen can be highly beneficial. You will notice results depending on how quick your body can assimilate and get accustomed to a new supplement.