Medically Reviewed By Elizabeth A. Swick, MS, RDN
Move Freely in 2023
Read any article about staying healthy as you age and you're likely to see advice to exercise regularly. This may seem like a straightforward tip, but if you suffer from joint pain or stiff joints due to arthritis, it may seem like an impossible task. The good news is that there are things you can do to ease joint pain and stiffness, so you can become more active in 2023.
Why an Active Lifestyle Is Important
An active lifestyle is important at any age but is especially vital for older adults. Regular exercise can lower the risk for heart attack, stroke, hypertension, and diabetes, and even reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression.
It may seem counterintuitive, but exercise is also beneficial for stiff, aching joints. When you exercise regularly, you can build strength in the muscles that support the joints, and over time, this may actually reduce joint pain.
Why Does Joint Stiffness Happen?
In older adults, joint stiffness often occurs due to osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a condition that happens when the protective insulation or cartilage in the joints begins to break down. With less protection, the bones that meet at the joints can rub, leading to an inflammatory response. To protect the body, the immune system releases chemicals that cause the surrounding tissues to swell. This can result in joint pain and stiff joints.
What Should I Try for Natural Relief for Arthritis Pain?
To increase flexibility, mobility and to ease pain, consider following these tips:
- Eat a well-balanced diet: A diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can supply the nutrients needed to support healthy joints and regulate the body's inflammatory response.
- Mind your posture: Check in with yourself several times per day when you're sitting, standing, or walking. Keep your back straight and your head lifted to avoid putting excess pressure on your joints.
- Try heat therapy: Take a warm bath or apply a heating pad or heat wrap to stimulate circulation to the joints and soothe away pain.
- See a physical therapist: If you're new to exercise, a physical therapist can teach you moves that will strengthen the muscles that support your joints and give you tips on how to prevent injury.
- Manage stress: Stress can worsen the body's inflammatory response. Try deep breathing, meditation, yoga, and other relaxation techniques to manage the stresses of daily life.
- Massage:Self massage and professional massage therapy can ease tension in areas that experience soreness and enhance circulation to support healing.
What Are Joint Health Supplements?
When combined with other interventions, high quality joint health supplements may ease joint pain and stiffness. Joint health supplements are dietary supplements that contain ingredients that either support healthy cartilage and joint fluid, or ease inflammation. There are hundreds available on the market, and they come in a variety of forms, including tablets and capsules.
When choosing supplements, it's important to look for products that contain clinically researched ingredients. An example is green-lipped mussel extract, derived from shellfish found in New Zealand. Multiple studies have shown that the extract might be effective at reducing tenderness, stiffness and pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee and other conditions.
Another extract is Boswellia serrata, also known as Indian frankincense. This is an extract that comes from a tree of the same name and has been used as a natural remedy in Asia and Africa for centuries. Research indicates that Boswellia may stop the body from producing inflammation triggers called leukotrienes. In clinical studies, the herb has been found to reduce joint pain and stiffness caused by both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Before taking any new supplement, consult your medical provider. They can help you decide if a product is safe for you based on your medical history.
Don't Let Stiff Joints Hold You Back
Body Kitchen Pro-Mobility supplement can help you get moving in 2023. The supplement features BIOLANE green-lipped mussel extract produced through a specialized process that increases bioavailability, so your body can absorb it more fully. The optimized ingredient also provides omega-3 fatty acids, proteins and minerals that work together to support healthy joints.
In addition, Pro-Mobility contains AprésFlex Boswellia serrata extract to ease inflammation. Clinical studies have shown it to be effective at reducing joint pain and stiffness even in small doses. Rounding out the formula is FruiteX-B, a scientifically formulated mineral complex that eases stiffness to increase range of motion. Just two capsules per day provides a clinically effective dose of all three key ingredients to benefit aging joints and help you lead a more active lifestyle.